Due to its suitable and strategic position the province formed a sea-base and port from the older times that is during the period when the Elamite monarchs ruled over the region. During the Achaemenian era, the territory of Bushehr was governed by the officials of ‘Pars’. In the past, the Persian Gulf region which encompassed the Bushehr province was always a seat of the exchange of scholarly activities as well as wealth and the rise of political power, which also included the economic and commercial aspects. These formed the main principles which attracted foreign powers. The first of which being the rampage of the European governments to the coasts of the Persian Gulf. Such as the Portuguese attack in the year 1506 AD.
In order to gain supremacy over the Egyptian and Venetian traders who held the ropes in this area. In the year (1031 AH.) Shah Abbas Safavid aligned with Britain and expelled the Portuguese from this region. It was during the reign of Nader Shah (1148 AH.) that Bushehr which was no more than a village gained importance and was transformed into a port with a jetty. At the end of the reign of Nader Shah, Iran possessed 23-25 ships in the Persian Gulf.